Helping World Vets reduce pet overpopulation in Ecuador - March 2011

Helping World Vets reduce pet overpopulation in Ecuador - March 2011

This spring, Blue Hummel and I are going to Ecuador to participate in a World Vets spay/neuter project. We'll work with vets, staff, and volunteers from around the USA to help people in Ecuador provide medical care to their beloved pets. This is our story - and I'm sticking to it!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Totally in the clouds this morning. Very wet outside. Not able to see any view! We had an early breakfast then jumped on the bus to go to the clinic. There were already dozens of people and pets waiting in line. Such cute dogs and cats. Took lots of pictures. Had some last minute setup to finish, then we got started! We have 5 DVMs and the Leader, only room for 4 surgery tables, so we rotated surgeons. Lots of dog spays, but also a few neuters and cats and little kittens and puppies. We are actually indoors in a little clinic. Proper floors, windows and walls! This is very “posh” compared to other clinics. Still no gas anesthetic or sterilizer, but it went very well. Blue did fantastic today learning how to place IV catheters! In fact, she did so well, the trainer had Blue teach other assistants! The trainer wants Blue to be in charge of induction tomorrow! She rocks, but we already knew that! Woofie was the supervisor in surgery. I will post a picture of him in his special spot. We put him in the big tie of the curtain! He was a very good supervisor! We did 65 animals today. Our leader, Karen, said that is the most animals done in one day in any of her trips (she has led nine trips). We have a super group. Luckily it is not too hot, in fact, I did NOT pack right for this trip. I thought it would be hot… not! But I is getting into the 60’s, I think, so we are not cold. I forgot to pack my scrub pants, so now I have to wear my hiking pants or Capri’s in surgery. What a goof! I could wear my new Ecuadorian pants, but don’t want to risk getting them dirty. We worked until about 5 pm, but had to wait until the critters all woke up from anesthetic and could be sent home before we could leave. We didn’t get back to the hotel until 7:30 pm. FINALLY I was able to get online and send the blog info to Linda. I sent an email to let her know that we were safe but didn’t know how long the internet would last… then got “kicked off” right after sending the email!! We had another nice dinner then everybody headed back to their rooms. Everybody is pretty tired. I need to get this sent… but I just noticed, knocked off the internet again! Well, hopefully I will get this and more pictures sent soon! Hasta Manana!!

No comments:

Post a Comment